Nagpur: In what we can call as an indecisive management, the Nagpur Municipal Corporation (NMC) on Saturday issued a stay on the order which was released by them on December 25 evening regarding the restrictions imposed in the city.
NMC commissioner on Saturday issued guidelines regarding the night curfew in the city. The order stated that all establishments—essential and non-essentials, restaurants, hotels, malls and cinema theaters would be shut down after 9pm. Night curfew would be imposed from 9pm to 6am in the city, in which gatherings of five or more people will not be allowed at public places.
However, just after a few hours, Commissioner of Police Amitesh Kumar provided some respite to the hotels and restaurant owners and proposed modifications in the guidelines. According to the current guidelines, hotels and restaurants including bars can operate till 12 am and cinema halls too can operate according to their usual timing.
All other establishments should shut down by 9pm. In yet another confusion, another order was released that these guidelines will be applicable only till December 28. NMC Commissioner Radhakrishnan B said that a new set of restrictions will likely be issued after December 28. He also said that now that it’s the last week of the year, people tend to go out more and socialize during this time, hence the night curfew has been imposed.
Ahead of new year celebrations and amid rising Omicron cases in the state, the Maharashtra government on Friday announced night curfew in the state and prohibited gathering of five or more people at public places during the curfew hours.
The order issued by the Maharashtra government states that a night curfew has been imposed from 9pm to 6am. The order is said to come into effect from December 25. According to the circular issued by the state’s chief secretary, restaurants, gyms, spas and cinema halls will have to operate at 50 per cent capacity.